1.29.2013

{VALENTINE'S DAY CHAIR WREATHS}

I know, it's not even February yet, but I've been breaking out all of my Valentine's Day decor to take my mind off of this:


YUCK! I can barely see past my fence, and it's been like this almost the entire week. I'm going stir crazy! So, you can see the need to brighten things up a bit inside. :)


A few years ago I made some of those cute Valentine's Day envelope pouches for the back of your chairs, you know, the ones to leave each other cute Valentine notes etc.? Well, the year after I made them we got a new dining set and the cute little envelopes didn't work on my new chairs. :( So after 2 years, I decided to make something new!



Want to make your own? It's super easy, I promise!



I purchased my wreaths and glitter hearts from The Dollar Tree and all of my ribbon was purchased from Walmart. Yep, it's an inexpensive craft my friends...the best kind. I already had my chipboard hearts, so they were no added cost, but I'm sure you could find either chipboard or regular wooden ones at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. I used scrapbooking paper from my new "WHO LOVES YOU" kit. Just remember, if you print your own paper, DO NOT Mod Podge over the top of it, your ink will bleed.

First off, decide where you want the hole for your hearts to hang from. If you're using wood, go ahead and break out the drill, if you're using chipboard, a hole punch should do the trick just fine.

Okay, so now you trace your heart shape onto your scrapbook paper and cut them out. Then you're going to apply a VERY THIN layer of Mod Podge to your chipboard.



No gobs, just barely there. If you get too much it will get your scrapbook paper too wet and ruin it. Remember, less is more. PLUS, it will stick just fine and won't take forever to dry. :)

Once it's dry (maybe only five minutes or so) take your sandpaper and sand of the excess around the edges. The only pointer I have is to sand in a downward motion. Not back and forth, but like your trying to bend the paper off of the edge. Does that make sense? It will go A LOT quicker that way and it will leave a cute white edge around the heart. Here's the difference between sanded and not.



Now it's time to embellish! I kept mine fairly simple because I'm a simple kinda gal, but feel free to get as creative as you want.


Now you're ready to assemble! Simply tie your wreath onto your chair using your ribbon of choice. Then loop a smaller ribbon through the hole of your heart and tie it up around the larger bow. 



And there you have it! Best part? They only cost me about $3 each! Happy crafting, and Happy {early} Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment